- Early Bird Offer
- Limited Spaces
This course is designed to meet the legal requirements of the ACVM Hazardous Substance and New Organism Act and the New Work Safe Act.
It provides the knowledge and skills to prepare trainees to use the poisons involved in pest control.
What is covered?
- New Zealand legislation that controls the use of VTAs.
- Who needs to be licenced and what that entails.
- The types and uses of controlled substances.
- The types of pests that they control.
- How to stay safe while using VTAs..
Who should attend?
- Individuals who wish to become an approved handler for VTA and gain a controlled substance licence.
- Individuals training who work in the pest control field.
- Field supervisors.
- Site location storemen and supervisors at retail outlets selling VTAs.
- Understand the requirements of the legislation.
- Understand the basics of staying safe with VTAs including rules, types of safety gear, emergency response.
- Overview of the procedures for storage, transport and disposal of VTAs.
- Train with a NZQA recognised Private Training Establishment (PTE)
This programme provides formal training and assessment as required for VTAs for which you may require a Certified Handler Certificate:
- Potassium Cyanide
- Sodium Cyanide
- Yellow Phosphorous
- DRC 1339
- Sodium Fluoroacetate (1080)
- Microencapsulated Zinc Phosphide (MZP)
- Alphachoralose solid
2 assessment pages, practical exercises and a written assessment
There is no prerequisite however trainees should have a job in pest control.
- Comprehensive resource material
- AsureQuality formal training certificate
Certified Handler Certificate
AsureQuality cannot facilitate your application for your Certified Handler Certificate. Please refer to the WorkSafe website for Certifiers to commence your application process
AsureQuality cannot issue or facilitate the CSL application with Worksafe
On receipt of your Certified Handler Certificate, please contact Worksafe directly to apply for your CSL
A certified handler certificate and a controlled substance licence are different things and allow a person to do different things.
A certified handler is someone who has been certified to handle very hazardous substances. Certified handler compliance certificates are issued by compliance certifiers and are valid for five years. A certified handler certificate confirms that a person has demonstrated that they have the knowledge, experience and competence to safely handle the specified hazardous substances. A formal training certificate is a pre-requisite for applying for a Certified Handler Certificate
A controlled substance licence is an extra level of certification required to possess controlled substances and work independently/unsupervised. This process confirms that the applicant is a fit and proper person to possess the controlled substance and that they require this for their work. A certified handler certificate is a pre-requisite for applying for a controlled substance licence. A person should apply to WorkSafe for the controlled substance licence.
- Formal training certificate
- Certified Handler Certificate
- Controlled Substance License
The client accepts full responsibility for failure to abide by any pre-course or post-course requirements. This includes, but is not limited to, completing and returning
course documents, evidence of competency, attestation forms.
Clients will be given a timeframe to complete these forms and return to AsureQuality. Failure to return a completed attestation or verification before due
date may prevent the unit standard from being processed as competent, certificate issue and fail to complete recorded on the training record.
Timeframe for completion
10 weeks from the course start date
If you require an extension for this assessment, please contact our team directly at email@example.com
Return of full and complete documentation to providers of the Certified Handler and Worksafe certificates remain the responsibility of the trainee.
This course can be delivered by Online Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT): Individuals can train from their home or workplace. You will see a course date and this option for some of our courses. These courses are managed in the same way our classroom courses are, however, all classes are virtual. After you register, you will receive a link to sign in to our online class prior to the course date. We suggest you are prepared for this training by checking below:
- Please ensure you have a stable internet connection for the session.
- Ensure you have access to a microphone and webcam
- Where possible, choose a quiet space where you are unlikely to be interrupted for the duration of your training.
- For VILT, it is recommended each of your trainees have their own device or laptop to engage well with the trainer.
In-House Training: We offer training in-house exclusively for your team. We can deliver in the classroom face to face, to a maximum class size of 10 trainees.